Wedding planning is super exciting, so alleviate any potential stress by using eve’s checklist for the most important questions to ask your future venue…
There can be a barrage of questions for a potential wedding venue, so it’s always best to start with the basics before getting into more specific questions and details…
- Is the venue available on the date you need it?
- Is it suitable for a ceremony and reception?
- Is venue is licensed? (Do check this as some venues may only be suitable for a non- legal blessing)
- How many guests can the ceremony room accommodate?
- How many guests can the reception room accommodate
- What are their wedding packages and what is included?
- What other events are going on at the venue on the same day?
- Is there another event scheduled for your room at a different time during the same day?
- How long are you able to have the room/rooms?
- What rooms are included? Bathrooms, bridal party rooms, lounge/ an area for dancing/ an area to freshen up or for the bride to get ready in…
- Is an outdoor area included if you want to book a summer date?
- Will there be a wedding planner of team of event planners to help organise the details and run things on the day?
- Is the room accessible for disabled guests?
- Is there a secure area to store the wedding gifts?
Now for the finer details to ensure your special day runs smoothly…
Saying your I DO’s
- Can the venue accommodate the ceremony?
- Are the ceremony and reception held in the same room or separate rooms?
- If they’re held in the same room, what can be expected for set up and take down to switch over from the ceremony to the reception?
- Is there an area your guests can have drinks while this happens?
- Is there a holding area before the ceremony for mingling when guests first arrive?
- How long approximately will it take to turn the room around for the reception?
- Does the venue provide the seating for the ceremony?
- What is the cost to have both the ceremony and reception at the venue?
- Are you able to have a rehearsal at the venue?
- Can confetti be used?
Food glorious food
- What kind of food does the venue serve?
- Do they cater in house or will you need to bring outside caterers in?
- Do they provide canapes?
- Is there a preferred list of caterers or partners of the venue?
- Can you arrange for a tasting?
- Is there a cost for a tasting?
- What does the venue provide for drinks with the meal?
- Is there a set package (e.g. half a bottle of wine per head)?
- Can the venue accommodate special diets?
- How much notice do they need for special dietary requirements/ food choices in general?
- How many choices can you offer your guests for meals?
- How many staff will be provided?
Raise your glasses…
- Does the venue have a license to serve alcohol?
- Does the venue provide the alcohol and bar service?
- What drinks are included in the pricing?
- Is there a glass of fizz for a toast provided?
- Is there a glass of fizz provided for after ceremony drinks?
- Is there a choice of having a cash bar or an open bar?
- Does the venue hire the bartenders and is there a charge per bartender?
- Does the venue charge for unopened bottles after the reception?
- Is there a corkage fee?
- Are there any restrictions on the type or quantity of alcohol to be served?
- Can wine or small spirit bottles be given as a party favour?
Let them eat cake!
- Is there a safe/cool place for the cake?
- Does the venue provide a cutting knife?
- Do they provide a cake stand?
- Are chairs and tables provided?
- Are chair backs included?
- When can you start decorating?
- Are there decorating restrictions?
- Can candles be used
- Are table clothes and linen and cutlery provided?
- What decorations (if any) does the venue provide?
- Is there an easel for the table plan?
- Is anything provided?
- How many people can sit at one table?
- Are there booster seats or high chairs available for children?
Dancing the night away
- Can you bring in a band or DJ?
- What do they have for a sound system? Speakers, microphones, etc?
- When can the band or DJ set up?
- What cables are needed if providing own DJ etc
- Is there a microphone included for the wedding speeches?
- How many people does the dance floor accommodate?
- What time do they allow the music to play until?
- What is the total cost and what is required for a deposit?
- Does the venue offer payment plans?
- What type of payment can they take? Cash, credit card? Bank transfer?
- What it their cancellation policy?
- What is the time scale for payments?
- What are the insurance requirements for you and your vendors?
- Does the venue have its own insurance coverage?
- Are there any photograph or video restrictions?
- Can you do a walk through with your photographer and videographer before the date?
- What suggestions do they have for locations to photograph?
Raining cats and dogs
- Does the venue have outdoor covered areas such as canopies tents or verandas in case of rain?
- Do they have indoor space available if you need to move people outside to inside if an outdoor ceremony has been planned?
- Do they have a generator for power outages?
Resting weary heads…
- Is there overnight accommodation or do they partner with local hotels?
- Is there a discount to book a block of rooms at a partner hotel?
- What are the room rates?
- Is there a bridal suite?
- How far ahead does accommodation need to be secured?
- Where do guests park and how many spots are available?
- Is there a cost to park?
- Any other events that may make parking difficult?